Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Scrambled Eggs Theory of Spirituality

As a child, I suddenly would know something as absolute truth that I had not really given any conscious thought to. For example, there was the Scrambled Eggs Theory of Spirituality. This is a name I made up because I needed to call it something to file in my head. I know it was Roger (my spirit guide) who used this analogy to explain an important concept I needed to become familiar with.

The explanation Roger imparted to me was made as simple as possible, since at that young age, more advanced concepts would have been hard for me to follow. Apparently, because one of my favorite foods back then (and still) is scrambled eggs, that is the symbol Roger used to explain the Theory of Spirituality.

In some mythologies, it is believed that the universe sprung from an egg. Roger explained to me that the spiritual universe was like scrambled eggs, runny scrambled eggs to be exact. Think of the eggs all cracked open and whisked together in a bowl. They are still individual eggs but, at the same time, they are being mixed together to become one big eggness. As these cook, they form into one mass, but because these are runny eggs, some of these, though still attached, stream away from the mass of eggs. When a child is born, that little runny part enters him or her and is his or her soul or spirit. The runny part is still attached to the larger aggregate, but it is also in the person, so the person is separate yet also always attached to the main mass of eggs. Then when the person dies, the runny part of the egg, the soul or spirit, returns to the egg mass to become one again with the cosmic whole of which it was a part of all along although it appeared to be separate.

All of this made perfect sense to me then, and is the story I sometimes tell people to help them understand how it is that we are all connected and how I am able to do what I do. I also remember that for a while I was reluctant to eat scrambled eggs because I was afraid of eating someone else’s soul.

(from my unpublished book Simple Gifts: Living a Spirited Life)

No comments: